If you’re having problems with your hearing, you may need to consult with various specialists. You should first consult your doctor or an ENT specialist to see if your hearing loss is due to a medical condition. Sometimes the doctor will discover a treatable issue, such as an ear infection or a blockage. However, you may need to consult a different type of specialist for additional testing or assistance with your hearing loss in other circumstances. This might be an audiologist or hearing aid specialist. There are similarities and differences between the two, so let’s take a look at these below.

Similarities between an audiologist and a hearing aid specialist

Audiologists and hearing aid experts are trained to assess and treat hearing issues. They each have extensive training and experience in their respective fields and both of them can evaluate your hearing and provide you with recommendations. However, audiologists tend to carry out a more extensive range of tests and treatments while hearing aid specialists specialise in finding the best hearing aid for you. If you have age-related hearing loss or another relatively straightforward issue that may be treated with a hearing aid, you are more likely to consult a hearing aid expert

Differences between an audiologist and a hearing aid specialist

Because the distinctions between audiologists and hearing aid experts are nuanced, it is easy to become confused about who you are visiting. However, there are some critical distinctions in what these two pros can offer you.


If you have trouble hearing or balancing, an audiologist can figure out what is wrong. If you need specialised tests that your doctor or a hearing aid expert can not provide, you will go to them instead.

Almond Hearing’s Frazer Paterson is a registered audiologist

They can also recommend and fit hearing aids and provide other services such as cochlear implants and balance issue rehabilitation. In addition, they are qualified to treat more unusual types of hearing loss and can assist in more complex cases, such as individuals with special requirements.

Hearing aid specialists

A hearing aid specialist can assess your hearing and assist you in selecting the best hearing aid for your needs. Visiting a hearing aid expert is similar to visiting an optician for glasses. They usually work with patients who have hearing loss due to age but can also fit hearing aids for people with other hearing issues.

So, do you need to see an audiologist or hearing aid specialist?

You may need to consult an audiologist or hearing aid specialist if you have hearing problems, but which one is suitable for you?

You will typically only need to see an audiologist if your ENT consultant refers you to one. As opposed to hearing aid experts, audiologists deal with more specialised cases, so your doctor may send you to one to understand more about your issue. Additional tests performed by the audiologist may aid with your diagnosis or ensure that your treatment is more targeted. If you have special requirements that make a hearing test difficult, you should consult an audiologist.

You can see a hearing aid specialist on your own or with a doctor’s referral. If you’re concerned about your hearing, you can schedule a test without visiting a doctor. If the hearing aid specialist notices any other issues, such as an underlying medical condition, they may refer you to an ENT specialist or an audiologist. You can also consult a doctor to determine the cause of your hearing loss. If your doctor feels a hearing aid would help, you will be referred to a hearing aid expert who will fit you with one. A hearing aid specialist will conduct a hearing test and then assist you in choosing and using the appropriate hearing device. Regular check-ups will be required to ensure that you get the most out of your hearing aids.

Can I see both an audiologist and a hearing aid specialist?

It is possible to consult with an audiologist and a hearing aid specialist. For example, you may initially visit an audiologist to better understand your hearing loss before being directed to a hearing aid expert for fitting. If your hearing aid expert identifies a more complex problem when testing your hearing, you may be referred to an audiologist. Audiologists, hearing aid specialists, ENT consultants, and other specialists frequently collaborate to provide you with the best possible care.

To learn more about whether you need to see an audiologist or hearing aid specialist, contact the team at Almond Hearing today. We’re more than happy to answer any questions you have about hearing tests in Livingstone too.